Monday, June 22, 2009

Bittersweet emotions

I worked all day today getting Tickle Bellies orders out. It was just me working today which was fine, I was kind of in a funk for most of the morning. Our friend Liam, who was just 7, earned his wings early this morning and went to heaven. We met Liam and his family our very first day at MCV hospital back in April 2008. He also had a brain tumor but it was one of the worst kinds of brain tumors to have. Obviously, all brain tumors suck but there are some that do have a successful cure rate. Liam's tumor was not one of those. But I told myself, that someone has to be the first to be cured, Liam could be that someone. So there is always hope that a new treatment or something will effect that tumor and a successful treatment plan will be in place and this little boy will live and not die. And of course there is our loving God and His promises and plan and when the doctors have no answers, no remedy for the problem, perhaps it is then that Divine Healing will take place. Sadly for us, all of those prayers for healing here on earth were not answered. However, I know deep down that Liam is better off. He is the winner in the lottery of life and he received his big payday today. He has no pain, no morphine pumps, no pressure in his head, no more medicine and no more fear of what may lie ahead. He is free and I can only imagine the peace and love that now fills his soul. It's been a bittersweet day and as I hug my girls I am thankful. I am grateful they are here with Steven and me because I am so selfish that I couldn't live without them. God has allowed me to keep Ellie here with us for now and we are going to give thanksgiving for that each day that we have and we are going to do our best to live our life with purpose, with meaning and with fun... lots of fun.

I am sad that the timing for our vacation will make us miss Liam's funeral. We will stop at their home tomorrow on our drive so we can deliver our condolences to his family in person. Hug your kids tight and let the little stuff go. That's what we are trying to do. So this vacation has come at a good time and I am really looking forward to just being and enjoying and making memories. Unplugging from it all for a few days.

In other news.... I am sure you have all been on the edge of your seats since I have posted the big Ipod Touch or Room Redo conflict that Emma was having. Drum roll please... the winner is


We went out yesterday to get this so she would have some hot new technology to play with during tomorrow's 8 hour drive. It is a very cool Ipod and I am quite jealous. It has all these neat apps like the Iphone and a big, crystal clear viewing screen. She has downloaded two movies for our trip. The neat thing that I liked was the hidden side speakers so you can share your music with everyone if you choose to, no headphones needed. Thankfully our tastes in music is similar so I don't cringe in horror when she plays something for all of us to hear.

I will be updating from New England if I have time. Here are some random photos from our weekend.


Ellie plays 'Cooking Mama' on her DS.



Zebra Swallowtail butterfly comes for a visit.

Lance Armstrong
Steven is ready for a neighborhood ride.