Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ruby Throated Beauty

Male Ruby Throated


We have two Hummingbirds this summer that are hanging out in our yard. We usually just have two each year. I am waiting for the day that I have 5 or 6 at one time. Won't that be cool?! So this year we have a male and a female that are enjoying our little spot of earth. I had excitedly hung out the sugar water at the beginning of the season but for whatever reasons the Hummingbirds weren't too interested...but...the ants were. I couldn't for the life of me find the ant guard (little moat like thing that prevents the ants from making it to the sweetwater) so I took the feeder down. My gardens contain plenty of humming bird friendly plants and I knew they would have plenty of choices to drink from so I wasn't too worried about them finding nutrition.

However, I did miss seeing them up close. When they feed from a feeder they perch and stay longer and seem more relaxed so you can get up close and personal. I debated about putting the feeder back up but then we were on vacation for a week and then it was so unbelievably hot and the sugar water turns bad quickly in 95 plus temperatures. So....to make a long story short, the garden is looking rather spent after a month of 95 degree days so yesterday I put the feeder back up and made a big batch of sugar water so I can keep the feeder filled with fresh food each day. I still don't have an ant guard but I moved the feeder to a different location away from the deck. It was fun to watch the hummers up close again tonight. They are so beautiful. Now if only they would play nice with each other.