Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dear Jesus-

When are you coming back to get us? Is it soon? I think we are ready. We are sadly making a mess of all the beautiful gifts your Father gave us. We don't seem to care about making things better. Money, greed and selfishness keep getting in the way. Please hurry.
XO- Colleen

The oil spill in the Gulf makes me boiling angry and then very, very sad. I don't understand why this is taking so long and why that arrogant and ill-equipped company is still in charge. They are not getting anywhere and they keep saying it isn't that bad. Huh? What? Apparently British Petroleum thinks we are a nation of self-absorbed idiots... who knows maybe we are. Actually, I know we are.

We should be outraged over this. The oil spill needs to be streaming on TV 24 hours a day. I still recall when Anna Nicole Smith killed herself died and the news coverage was over the top. It was all day, every day for at least a week and really why do we care about that? We have our priorities so confused regarding what is truly important in our world. So tell me, where is the news coverage of the birds covered in deadly oil? The thick sludge washing up and all over pristine wetlands? The investigative reporting to uncover why this happened? The long term (and yes this will be for years and years) effects of what this means and why can't anyone put a stop to the leak? How hard is it to plug that up? I know the fix is beyond what I can comprehend but there should have been some plan in place that worked by now. It has been 35 days of oil flooding out and contaminating everything.

The Obama administration really needs to step it up. I have to say I am saddened and frustrated over the lack of commitment as far as the response from our government. BP needs to have more help, more direction. I know things seem to be out of control in our lives in 2010 - high unemployment, healthcare, recession, war; there's a lot to deal with but this is important too. It will have such long term effects. It makes me so sad and disappointed. I just don't want to sit here and complain about it either. I would love to get involved. Tell me what to do, how I can help?

Here are photos that need to be seen regardless of how upsetting they are. These are all from Boston.com and Getty photographers. A picture speaks a 1000 words.


spill7
A dying Egret surrounded by toxic oil

spill2
Oil tainted marsh lands where Brown Pelicans nest. Disgusting


spill1
Look how saturated this pelican is. They will have no chance.



spill8
A worker runs his hand through the water and this is what comes up.


spill5
Hermit crab covered in sludge on the beach.



spill6
Aerial view of the devestation


spill3
1000s of birds nest in the Lousiana wetlands. We are slowly and painfull killing them with this oil. Heartbreaking and so preventable.