Thursday, July 16, 2009

Random Advice

I have some rather random advice this morning. The first is to remind everyone to check their 'junk mail' folder in their email programs. I am constantly fishing important, non-junk, "this should be in my inbox" email out of there. I am still a novice in the Microsoft Outlook world so I have to check the filter presets to see if I can avoid some of the good stuff getting tossed into the rejected junk pile. I also seem to be having an issue with attaching files in Outlook. I have researched this and my problem does not seem to be a known issue so there is no fix. It's a sad day when google cannot give me an answer. Any suggestions?

Next I was thinking about that poor woman in VA Beach that drown on the 4th of July. Why did we witness her drowning? I am sure it was to pray for her, as that was the most important element of support we could offer as she left this world destined for another place. But I also learned about Riptides and how common and deadly they can be. I thought some of you may be like me and not understand them fully so I thought I would share what I learned and just maybe if you are caught in a riptide, this bit of information may help.

First I learned that riptides are strong currents. They are narrow channels of water that run perpendicular to the coast. They occur when there are changes in the sand and direction of the waves and it's similar to a traffic jam of water. The water is contained until it builds up so much that a small break occurs and all that bottled up water flows out to sea very quickly. You can be in this narrow channel and get pushed back from the shore very quickly. How scary is that! I have never been in a riptide current but I understand the panic. Panic. That is what causes most of the deaths in a riptide. Here is what you are suppose to do if you find yourself in a riptide. Don't panic. Easier said than done but try to stay calm. You will not be able to swim toward the shore while you are in a rip current. You can only try to swim out of the riptide's narrow channel. Swim parallel or alongside the shore. In a few strokes you should be out of the riptide's pull and can then swim back to the beach. If you cannot swim well, the experts suggest floating on your back and letting the current take you. The riptides don't last too long and you will soon be out of it and can swim back or wait for help.

JUST DON'T PANIC! Talk to God, to yourself, take a deep breath, whatever you do to calm down. You will survive if you can do this. What scared me the most about riptides is that they can come really close to the shoreline. If you are waist deep in water, say boogie boarding with your daughter, then you can experience a riptide. Emma now knows what to do if she is caught in a riptide. I pray that should she experience this she will be calm. That truly is the most important thing to remember. We are headed to Cape Cod in August and I know we enjoy being in the water and it's so important to remember where you are and to respect what the ocean is capable of. I found this site informative as well
http://www.eenaproject.com/Website.html

That's all I have for random advice today. This is rather old but made me chuckle when I watched a few months ago. If you haven't seen it. Enjoy! (I love the Sarah Palin spoof - funny!)